Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Non Stop Problems with Fancies?

So I had rescued a juvenile lionhead from my local pet store. Previously had two orandas bought 6 months prior to this purchase. I have a thirty gallon tank and take good care of my fish, Im careful not to over feed, and at least 20 perfect partial water changes every week. After buying the lionhead all hell broke lose. Thinking I bought a perfectly health fancy, boy was I wrong. Within a week after buying him I noticed red sores, the next week he had an achorworm. According to my fish care book I pulled out the parasite, did a salt dip and kept him quarantined for a week. A few days later, one of the orandas develops red open sores under his fantail, loss of scales and unusual behavior. I quarantined this fish (I could only still see just red open sores) and tried to treat with salt. It had gotten so bad and he was so restless and not acting himself (you could tell he had no more energy in him in trying to live) I made the decision to euthanise him. After this, my black oranda develops red sores and had FIVE anchorworms, and then the lionhead had two! I bought general cure for parasites in order to treat the whole tank. Did the treatment, 48 hours did a partial water change and did the treatment again. It didn't do anything, so again I had pulled out all the anchorworms. Now, the lionhead seems okay, major body discoloration though (not sure what causes this? suggestions) and NOW the oranda had major swelling in his cheeks and around the eyes (swelling white rings around the eyes, disappeared after two days of salt dips) but now after everything my oranda is developing white spots on the side of his cheeks, on the outside and what seems to be on the inside. I know white spots help with signs of sexing a fish, but it does not look like anything I have seen in pictures. They don't appear to be just small white little dots looks like a mass almost within his cheeks. He also now has a white spot on his wen. I really do care about my goldfish and I am not negligent by any means. And I haven't used too much chemicals considering I have only stuck to salt dips twice sometimes three times a day besides the general cure for parasites. Since buying this lionhead I have had difficulty with my fishs' health and its becoming very frustrating. Can someone help me figure out what is wrong with my oranda and how to help him? I know some may say its ich but I am not sure sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment